26 June 2013

The Great Yew of Ormiston

I am absolutely "sha'erd" (shattered) as they say here. Meaning, I am exhausted! I did the circuit training class again today, along with the walk two and from work, and then another long walking adventure tonight! But I went to an incredible place, and I really want to write about it while it is all fresh.

Today I went to see one of Scotland's Heritage Trees. Our final destination on the trail was the tree, known as the "The Great Yew of Ormiston," but there were some interesting things to see on the way as well.

There was a house in the town of Ormiston many years ago that burned down. With this mansion and the neighboring church destroyed, the people who lived here rebuilt Ormiston up the road. The ruins are still standing, and what is most interesting, is that people have build modern-day homes in between the ancient architecture.

The stone steps of the old house, draped in its veils of ivy, reminded me of a real-life Secret Garden.
Around back, you can see the modern home built into the remaining architecture of this estate
Walking farther now, the gravel road turned into a field filled with buttercups.

I saw this tree, boasting a pretty fair height, but it is not the one we were looking for.

From the outside you could not really tell what exactly this was.
But there was a little path leading towards it, so down it I went. 
What the path opened up to was this: A living cathedral. 

 This is the first of two trees that make up this incredible natural structure. It is believed that this yew tree is over 1000 years old. There are records of the size of the tree dating back to the 15th century written by John Knox, one of the first Protestant reformers in Scotland. He used to hold some of the first Protestant services in Scotland underneath this canopy.


This is the second tree, younger, but maybe only by a few hundred years. Yews grow extremely slowly.
 But yew trees are special to another spiritual group - Pagans. It is likely that this tree was also a meeting place for Scottish Druids in pre-Christian times. In Celtic spirituality, the yew tree is sacred, and is used in ceremonies. It is a popular wood for making wands used in their rituals. Like in the rest of the world, Paganism still has a strong (if unnoticed) following. Up in the northern islands of Scotland, people still practice ancient Celtic traditions. I found this little bag left on a younger yew tree under the canopy. I didn't open it, but through the sheer fabric of the bag it looked like either a long curved animal tooth or a claw was placed inside. I think this maybe a spiritual offering. Maybe a version of an animal sacrifice as the Celts do? Or a part of another ritual? It's clear to see that this place still holds intense spiritual energy for many.

An aside - Harry Potter and Voldemort's wands were yew. JK Rowling knew what she was talking about! 

Notice how the young branches on the tree grow completely vertical, searching for the sunlight.


After being in this incredible place for a while, it was time to head back. I know with the light it is hard to believe it, but this was about 9pm!
The way out
I picked some flowers on my way out. They're enclosed in a book now, drying.
So that was really incredible. As a "Heritage Tree," this yew was one of the oldest in Scotland. What is believed to be THE oldest tree in the United Kingdom is also based in Scotland. It is called the Fortingall Yew. I don't know if I will be able to see it, but I am still enchanted by the one in Ormiston - and it was only a 10 minute drive from where I am living!

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing!! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you are seeing all of this and not just starting to write your own story based on it all. You really should.

    ReplyDelete