09 June 2013

Queensferry and the Two Bridges

One of my goals before I set out for this trip was to learn how to be lonely - something I never really have prided myself in being good at. I feel my best when I am around people; I recharge in the company of others. So for me, this means getting myself up and doing things I normally would not do by myself. My whole life I have dreamed of living in a different country. But when you are daydreaming about it travelling and immersing yourself in another place, you do not really think of the hard things: the time difference, not getting to talk to your loved ones throughout the day, being self conscious of your accent, being viewed as a "stupid American." In my first week, these are all things I have experienced or thought about. But instead of letting these negative attitudes get in the way of my experience, I am trying to push myself even further through them. As I am writing this, I am having a lot of anxiety thinking about doing all of this alone. But I know I'll always regret the things I did not do out of fear. Who knows when I will have another opportunity in which I can access such extraordinary places and their stories.

The next goal for myself on my list is to explore Edinburgh alone. On Friday after I finish at the hospital, I will be getting on a bus to take me to Prince's Street in Edinburgh. It's about 4quid to take the bus in due to a hike in public transportation costs. It's pretty expensive. After walking around the old city, I will be spending the night in a hostel, in a room with 11 other females. For Saturday, I booked a coach tour that will take me to Melrose, a few other sites in Scotland, and then cross through the Borders and on into England to see Alnwick Castle (pronounced Annick). The whole-day tour finishes in Edinburgh. I am trying to decide now whether I want to spend another night in the town and explore the next day, or whether I should get a bus back to Haddington to have a day of rest and errand-running before the work week begins. It's supposed to rain all weekend as well, so that might determine what I may choose to do.

Anyway, today we went to a town called Queensferry which is north west of Edinburgh. It is located on the banks of the Firth of Forth, where two bridges stretch across the water. One bridge is for trains, the other for driving vehicles.
To the left is the driving bridge, to the right is the train bridge

 We had lunch outside on a patio, and although the sun was shining, I was really cold! Looking around, most people were in sandals, t-shirts, and sundresses. But 60 degrees is not really summer weather for me. I was glad to have worn my boots (which I did to give my feet a rest from the flats I wear to work), and a sweater! This has been the warmest it has been in a long time in Scotland, I've been told. They had a pretty miserable winter, so everyone is basking in the "heat." I have been told that is why I haven't seen many people 
wearing boots and scarves as they probably would be otherwise. But it is still boots and scarves weather for me in my book! I am not as impervious to the cold, as I found out yesterday when I tried to dress as the others dressed for our outing! I need more layers.

    On another note, we past a "used Kilts" shop today on the drive. I was not quick enough to get a picture, but the mear fact that there is a "Used Kilt Shop" business made me laugh a little. A motorcycle group was parked and eating at a cafe nearby. We saw a few wearing what looked like leather kilts...thought that was quite interesting.
   I am back at the hospital again tomorrow! I am excited to start my second week. I bought my own container of coffee to leave in my desk so people do not feel obligated to share theirs! I did my laundry today for the first time since arriving (guess it makes sense, since I've only been here a week but it feels longer) and it is all hanging out on the clothesline outside. I hope it is dry tonight before I go to bed. The fact that it does not get dark until nearly 11pm allows for more opportunity, I suppose. That's all I have for today. Hopefully I will have some interesting updates tomorrow!
Train going over the bridge
View from the cafe 

No comments:

Post a Comment