22 June 2013

National Museum of Scotland

This morning I took the 9:45am bus into Edinburgh, with the goal of spending the day in the National Museum of Scotland. After wandering about for a bit down the Royal Mile, I eventually found my way to Chambers Street. I'm really bad with street names, I mostly go by landmarks, so I was pretty lucky I stumbled across it on my walk. The majority of the museums in Edinburgh are free, so all I had to do was pick up a map and start my independent tour. It was great! I picked the perfect day to go - rainy, cool, and quiet. The museum has something for everyone. Between learning about the history of Scotland (geographically how it was formed), the spirituality of early Scottish people, the introduction and spread of Christianity, developments in science and technology, art, and the natural world, there was so much to see.

Ancient ritual carvings. Reminds me of Gallifreyan writing from Doctor Who. Inspiration, perhaps? 
This necklace, which is believed to be a symbol of aristocracy and possibly also military rank, was found buried in the town I'm living in!
On the second floor in this hall, there was a balcony cafe, where I had my lunch. 

Earth Witness - my favorite Buddha pose!
Each one is so unique!

View of the castle from the terrace of the museum!

I spent over four hours in the museum, and there were so many things I did not even see. But I think I am going to try to go back soon, as they are setting up a exhibit on Mary Queen of Scots! After the museum, I walked down the road to the Elephant House, where JK Rowling famously spent time writing some of her books. I met a Canadian family outside, and took their family photo for them. In return, they took one of me! I went inside the cafe thinking I may grab a coffee before heading back to the bus, but it was absolutely packed. As it was raining outside, I decided just to walk back to Prince's Street and safe a coffee there for another day.
Lovely little apartments. How could you NOT be inspired by this city?
View from the very front of the double-decker bus


 Tomorrow it's off to the Royal Yacht Britannia! I am exhausted, so it's bed time for me!


2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing day! I'm so happy for you. That yellow dress is incredible but omg I bet it weights a ton! haha Have fun tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This museum has such an innovative way of displaying the artifacts! I love the sewing machines. I've always loved Edinburgh and you are bringing it to life through your photos!

    ReplyDelete