16 June 2013

Melrose, Alnwick Castle, and Berwick Upon Tweed

Fun fact: The Red Lion is the most common pub name in the United Kingdom. There are hundreds that share this name, all independent owners!

So on Saturday morning, I woke up at the hostel and went down to have breakfast. Again, right away people began asking questions and striking up conversation. Chatted for a while with an English guy in his late 20s, yet has lived all over the world - China, India, Australia, the States, Cambodia...all over. He even has been to New Jersey and asked if I have ever been to Ocean City. Of all the places in the world he has been, he remembered the name of that little town in NJ. I could only laugh! So we talked for a while about our lives, our plans, how we found ourselves in Edinburgh, etc, and just about the funny ways of life. This was one of my favorite interactions I think, because of the anonymity - we never exchanged names, just stories. I guess it really emphasizes that belief that we are all just fellow travelers in life. Our paths cross sometimes, and it's up to us to choose what we do with the time we sit in the presence of someone else and their own story. But then, it was time for me to go catch the tour bus. Grabbed my bags, turned in my keys to the hostel, and headed down the Royal Mile again.

The coach bus was small, there were 14 passengers on the tour. It was great because it was small enough that everyone interacted with each other. There were people from the USA, Canada, Portugal, and I forget where the last group was from. There was a little girl next to me, maybe about 10 or so who was wearing a Harry Potter scarf. That was awesome. Behind me sat three Americans from California whose son is starting college at a school by Princeton NJ in the fall. By the end of the tour, we chatted so much that I passed along my email information if they had any questions about the area. I spend most of the tour with a really nice Canadian fellow who was also travelling solo. It was really nice to chat and have someone to explore with. Another great thing - everyone kept offering to take each others' pictures throughout the tour. So I actually have proof I was there!

The first stop: Melrose Abbey. As you can see, it is in ruin, but it is absolutely gorgeous. Many Scottish royals and important people are buried here, including the heart of Robert the Bruce. If you've seen Braveheart, you may recognize his story (although most of that movie is very historically inaccurate). It was a really lovely place though.
The next stop, and the main focus of today: Alnwick Castle. For this one, we crossed through the beautiful Border towns into England. This castle is still inhabited by the Percy family and the Duke of Northumberland. They were preparing to host a wedding next weekend for someone in the Percy family. They expect some of the Royal Family to be there. 
Something else significant about the castle is that it was the set of a few of the Harry Potter movies. We saw the site where the Whomping Willow would have been located, and of course the field where the broomstick training took place in the first film - they actually had a broomstick flying activity for kids on that location! Less well known, this castle was also the backdrop for the show "Black Adder." Pretty neat!

Pretty sure this was Dumbledore
There was a "Dragon Quest" maze, kind of like a haunted house type thing that you walked through. It culminated with this animatronic dragon.
I was convinced to put on a dress and take a picture with Harry ( didn't take much effort, you know me). I have a Deathly Hallows hair clip in from my friends' store: http://ziggyspiggies.blogspot.co.uk/
Check it out, they're awesome!
Harry Potter hosted a little show for children, and I got called to the stage as a special guest. I was introduced as one of the "Weasley cousins." That was pretty great. As you can see I was trying to contain my laughter - I thought it was hysterical! So that whole event was a highlight, I'd have to say!
After exploring the castle, some of us from the tour walked into town where there was this amazing second hand bookstore. It was originally a train station, so the architecture inside was still very reminiscent of that.
There was a little cafe in the back, and the waiting rooms for the trains were converted into quiet reading areas, with tables, desks and some big comfy cushioned chairs. If only this place was closer...I could see myself spending a lot of time there.
Next Stop: Bamburgh Castle. We did not go inside this castle, as there was a fancy party going on. But we went up to the top of the hill. This one is located right on the sea, so it was a great view!

Last stop of the day: Berwick Upon Tweed. This town is right on the Border of England and Scotland, and has notoriously changed which country it is in due to the frequent changes in the border line. Now it's located in England.
You can see the very interesting wall around the town. We walked along the wall for a bit, and then did a quick stroll around the town. After that, we hopped back on the A1. I was dropped off in Haddington, which saved me a huge amount of time!


So that was my day! I had a really great time. I can't wait to go back to Edinburgh as well as take another tour! I thought it would be strange going on the tour as a solo traveler, but it really worked out well. Back to work tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Those castles are awesome. I was born in the wrong place and time!

    ReplyDelete