05 June 2013

Reflection: 5th of June

This is the back entrance to one of the buildings I have been
working in. As you can see, it's quite old, but I like that!
Everyone at my internship is so helpful and friendly so far. The whole atmosphere is so much more easy going and relaxed than what I am used to in the states. This is true for both the paid and unpaid jobs I have had! There are no time cards, you do not get punished or reprimanded for being late but if you are it's just natural that you make up the time, and there is a real sense of respect among all of the people. I honestly cannot even tell who is in a position of power just because everyone has such good work ethic and is so responsible for themselves and what they do. Since my first couple weeks I am getting oriented at the hospital and independently exploring, I have had a lot of downtime. I enjoy this as it gives me time to really soak in the whole experience. The conversations I have had with the staff are so insightful. I have been in an office with everyone ranging from therapists, to community psychiatric nurses, to physiotherapists. It has been so interesting discussing elements of the health systems with them. They are equally as curious about our system and how it works. They particularly have a lot of questions about what the Obamacare plan will mean for mental health. This is something I need to look into more to understand, as to be honest, I really do not know how it is going to alter the mental health system. But while these conversations are so interesting, I do not want to detract from peoples' work or have them feel like they must occupy me, so I have been doing reading. I read a few chapters today in a book about Emotional Intelligence, one about Schizophrenia and how it is approached in different countries (including the UK and the USA so that was interesting for my research), and I brought home a book on Positive Psychology to keep with me for a bit.

I was sort of thinking of trying to start my own little research project while I am here, and make up some forms to gather data. If I can get approval, I think I want to survey the mental health care professionals on what their understandings are of the National Health System, how they feel the NHS is meeting the needs of Scotland's people, and what shortcomings/failings they see within the system. Similarly, I would like to hear from the consumers' perspectives on how they feel the system is working for them, what can be improved, and what the process was like when they decided to seek treatment. I would like to bring the same survey back to the States if I can, and look at the comparisons. I think I am starting to gain a clearer understanding of the big picture here, but having first-hand anonymous reflections may be more telling.

Walking to work this morning, it was so cloudy and foggy. I was wondering if my lucky spell of uncharacteristically-nice Scottish weather was over. However, it cleared up again in the late morning and afternoon, revealing a blue sky. Everyone is complaining how summer is here, and how it is too hot for them. It is only about 50 degrees, and I currently have two pairs of socks on. I do not think our definitions of "hot" are the same...and central air does not even exist in Scotland!

Also, if anyone is interested  this article was recommended to me today. It is basically a statement on the theory that diagnosing may not actually be helpful for those receiving mental health care. This topic comes up a great deal at school and is very controversial in America's mental health system. As you can see, we are not the only ones discussing this. It is very though provoking!

No comments:

Post a Comment