16 June 2013

First Day in Edinburgh

I had an INCREDIBLE two days. I have to split my reflections into two posts, because there is just way too much for one!
 On Friday after work, I caught a bus to Edinburgh. It was 4 quid just to get there, but I had a double-decker bus to myself most of the time! Getting the bus was  uneventful, but once we got into the center of town, I was not really sure exactly where to get off. I recognized Princes Street (as it is pretty much the main road) so I decided just to hop off there and spare the trouble of sitting in traffic guessing whether I was at the most convenient stop based on where I was heading or not.

The first thing I heard when getting off the bus were bagpipes. So automatically, I started walking in that direction! There were a couple of street performers playing outside of the Scottish National Gallery. Here is a wee bit of one song!



I experienced this particular feeling a few times yesterday, though it is really difficult to describe. I am often very unsure of myself, wondering if I did the right thing, made the right decision, or did everything I possibly could to make things go a certain way. But when hopping off the bus in Edinburgh, it kind of hit me that I have actually done it- the one thing I have daydreamed about doing for as long as I can remember: travelling abroad. LIVING abroad. Edinburgh made me forget those worries and just be in the moment. Edinburgh made me feel alive. As cheesy and cliche as it sounds, it is really the truth. I want to feel that way more often.

 Though I did not have a clear plan of where I was walking, I knew my destination sits at the base of the castle. So I began walking in that direction. After some twists and turns through winding roads and feeling like I was constantly picking my jaw up off the ground each time I turned a bend, I finally reached my end goal: the Castle Rock Hostel, my haven for the night. This is the view from right outside the hostel. Incredible, right? 

I wish I would have taken more pictures of the inside on the hostel. It was kind of medieval-themed, with suits of armor, huge wooden doors, and painted celtic knots on the walls. That was juxtaposed with more modern art in some the rooms, with giant maps of the world and brightly colored walls. The rooms and beds all had funny names. I was in "Snow White's Room," and coincidentally I also had the "Snow White" Bed, a top bunk.

So after checking in and getting the room sorted, I grabbed my camera and headed out onto the Royal Mile. Here are some pictures of what I saw!

I really wanted Indian food, but I felt awkward asking for a table for one at a busy restaurant where other, larger groups, were waiting. So after wandering for a bit I found this little place called "Hula" that was actually a juice bar/art gallery. They serve carnivorous, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free foods as well. I had a yummy veggie wrap with guacamole, and this pretty latte.

Since it was late in the evening, I decided to save going inside the Castle for another day. It's really expensive to go in so I want to make sure I have sufficient time to see it all and really enjoy it!



Street performers: bagpipes and this circus-type guy. Apparently he's turned down Circus Soleil a few times because he believes they charge too much money. I also watched him juggle a live chain saw, a grenade and a machete. You can see him here laying on a bed of nails. 
This is called "World's End" because there was once only one road out of Edinburgh. You could leave for free, but if you wanted to enter into the city, you had to pay a toll. Unless you had a lot of money, you did not leave. So for most of the people who lived in what we now know as Old City, this spot marked the end of their world.

Doctor?
After exploring until about 8:30pm, I decided to head back to the Hostel. The wind was really picking up! When I got to my room (12 bed female dorm), a few girls were there who were American. They had also just arrived. We struck up conversation, and they invited me out with them that night. A pub called Ghillie Dhu was recommended to us where there would be live music and a céilidh! Of course I was excited! Traditional Scottish dancing was something on my list of things to do while I am here.

I could not get a good picture of it due to the confined space, but there was a beautiful spiral staircase leading up to the second floor of the pub where the dancing was to take place.
As you may be able to see, there were all ages involved in the dance.

 I got asked a few times to dance by the instructor, so that was really awesome! He was a very good leader so I was able to pick up the moves and the patterns pretty quickly. The three girls I came to the pub with seemed to really enjoy it too! We all partnered up throughout the night, but many of the dance require interaction with others and switching partners. It really was a great way to meet people. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and excited about our enthusiasm. Every time we decided to take a break and catch our breath, we would get asked again to join someone as their partner. My calves are sore this morning! It was quite a workout! But this was one of my favorite experiences so far - everyone was just smiling and laughing and having a good time, no one was judging your technique or anything. It was just fun!

Once the dancing had drawn to a close, we went back to the hostel. There were still a lot of people up, so we sat in the common room and chatted for a while. There were people from all over the world - some just passing through, others living in the hostel long term. I am looking forward to going back








2 comments:

  1. This post made me tear up with happy tears for you. The thought of you achieving your goals, getting past the "alone-ness", meeting new people, and having such a grand time... all so far from home, makes me so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to image that the stadium next to the hostel is a Quidditch field, AND that you were sitting in one of the House common rooms at the end of the night.
    Basically, I just want to pretend you were actually at Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete