02 June 2013

Jag' Show

Today I went with Val and Chris to a car club event at a castle by the Borders. Chris has a Jaguar (named DJ) and as a member of the local club, likes to go to events and meetings around the area. The show was set about 45 minutes away on the grounds of Thirlestane Castle. This is a more modern castle, and by "modern" I mean it was built in the 1500s, and underwent a few different remodelings over the years. According to the website for the castle, its last remodeling was done in the 1840s.

Lion guarding the staircase
We had absolutely lovely weather for the day. To get there, we drove through the countyside's winding and twisting roads. I had just had a coffee before we left, I started getting a bit dizzy and lightheaded as we were going up and down and around the hills. I think my internal time clock is still off, and the combination of that at the motion was not working for me. But by the time we got there I was feeling much better. I don't usually get motion sickness, but I am not used to the landscape (or going really fast in a 'Jag' down country roads). By the time we got to the castle grounds, though, I was fine. Even though I put on lotion with 15spf before I left the house, I still managed to get a sunburn. Only me! My freckles seem to be coming out again too. As long as I don't open my mouth, I'm told I could be mistaken for a local. I am very self conscious about my accent!

I had some nice conversations though with some of the club members and the spectators who came around to ask about the cars. They were all very curious what I was doing there and asked me how I like it thus far. I experienced some of the anti-American mindset though, I think. People ask me about the economy and the gun laws and what I think about American diets. Not sure if it is less cultural sensitivity than what I am used to being from a very diverse population and coming from the background that I do that makes me analyze the questions and comments, but I do. In reality, there is very, very little crime here. Virtually no one owns guns, and if you do, it's likely that you're a farmer who lives in the middle of nowhere. It's frowned upon here, and they think America's lack of controls is horrendous. They really do believe that the two are linked. It is just interesting to see outsiders' views of American lifestyle and culture.

Anyway, here are some other cars from the show! I don't know anything about cars, so the photos will have to do. One thing I do know, is that I have seen 100 years of Scottish history through its vehicles.


From 1906 - maybe the oldest car at the show

Me-sized car


Oscar Limo...not sure why that was there
Some sheep grazing on the way home. Where Haddington is based in East Lothian, the soil is very rich. Therefore, it is primarily an agricultural area. Once you head south towards England, the land is not as good for growing, so livestock is kept in that area instead.

Passing a windfarm, but on the ground this time!
Tomorrow I begin my first day at the internship. I am nervous! I have to be there at 9am, so I am planning on leaving the house around 8am so I KNOW I have enough time to get there. It seems to be maybe a 15-20 minute walk, and I am told Haddington is hard to get lost in, but I know that I would be the one to do it. Better safe than sorry! I am meeting my supervisor at the hospital in the morning and then we are heading off to a neighboring town called Musselburgh for a meeting. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment