01 June 2013

Haddington

Today is my second day in Scotland, and my my first full day! I am still trying to figure out the best way to run this blog to record all of my experiences here. I think right now it is at the stage where I may be going back to revise previous posts.

After re-reading my post from yesterday, I realize in my jet-lagged-oh-my-gosh-I-am-actually-in Scotland-haze that I left out a few of my impressions I wanted to remember! The first of which was flying over Scotland in the early morning. Apart from the rolling hills and the patchwork scenery of green and yellow (which I found out is called "rapeseed from the lady next to me on the plane), I was also struck by the windfarms we flew over! At first I could not tell what these tall white poles were from the height of the plane and the foggy windows, but once I saw the shadows of the turbines, I could see they were windmills. The only picture of them I was able to get is such poor quality, but I thought they were fantastic. As for the other memorable incidents, I will add narrations to pictures from yesterday's post!

Last night after our afternoon adventure out, I took a nap as the jet lag and the adrenaline of travel kind of wore off. When I awoke, I was given about 6 cups of coffee and we watched Matilda. I didn't mean to have so much, but it is consumed more frequently than water here! Every time I finished a cup, I was offered another. As it was delicious, I can not complain! We ended up watching Matilda before  tea (dinner meal) which was about 8pm. After tea, we watched a show with Stephen Fry as host called QI. It was funny and very informative, even though they constantly made jokes about Americans. I think I am going to have to get used to that. Haddington, at least at the center of town, has a population of people whose residency in this location dates back many many generations. They apparently have a very "small town" mindset and are not particularly keen on outsiders who move to the area, according to the English family I am living with who moved here 15 years ago. However, I explored Haddington today and I found it to be very friendly. I just do not think I should bring up politics in the coffee houses or pubs! I guess that can be said for everywhere though. Our standards of "friendliness" in the United States I am starting to see are much lower than here. The more polite you are, the less likely you are to be sneered at. Anyways, it does not get dark here until about 10:45pm. It was not until about 10:30pm when we turned on lights in the house! 
              Now on to the new stuff!
Val and I went into Haddington today to pick up some food for tea tonight at the Tesco (their large supermarket). We also drove past the hospital I will be working at so I would be familiar with the area, and we also walked around Haddington. I was feeling much like a tourist (which of course I am) so all of these photos were just quick shots from my phone and not as clear as I would like. I'll post more when I take some too and from work! There was something going on in town today for young kids, but I did hear bagpipes earlier in the morning. Apparently there is a really good pipe band in town, but the family I'm living with HATES the pipes, so I may have to go enjoy them alone sometime! Val also drove by the hospital where I will be working, and showed me some gennels that will get me there faster though the town. "Gennel" is the Scottish word for "snicket", which is the English word for "alley." The more you know!

This is the centre of town, High Street. Across the way is where the "mercat" used to take place. This is the Scottish word for "Market". The buildings behind are now used as council buildings. I'm going to explore those on another day!
This is the Town House
A few more views of High Street
 
This is the Nungate Bridge, one of the oldest sites in Haddington. When it was first created, this bridge was in the center of town, which grew up on the banks of the Tyne River. It was also on the main pathway from England into Scottish country. I will be crossing this bridge every day to work. I'll be able to get better photos then from the other side!
This is St. Mary's Church. It was built and destroyed many times between the 1300's to the 1500's during sackings of the town by the English.
This is the Waterloo Bistro on the others side of the bridge. It has apparently been flooded many times by the Tyne, but as reopened. I have been told they make a good coffee, so I will probably find myself there soon
Hooks from which the Scotts hung the heads of the English they killed during the attacks on Haddington.  Some captives were actually hanged from them as a warning for future invading armies.

This is a park on the banks of the Tyne. There are picnic tables and benches, so I imagine I'll be here too!      
They were quite a distance away, too far to capture on my phone camera, but those are 2 swans and their 5 babies swimming on the Tyne. And a Seagull (they have them in Scotland, too) flying into the frame.
                                         

To the left is a gallery called "Peter Potter Gallery" which is just steps away from the Nungate bridge. There are some very interesting hand crafted items inside. Very expensive though! In a few weeks they are hosting an archaeological dig in town where they will be excavating the site of a Victorian wash house by the Nungate bridge. Anyone is free to come by, so I may try to get involved in that. Only issue is I may be travelling with the family that weekend up to Leith to tour the Royal Yacht Britannia!
In the afternoons, it seems like everyone does their own thing here. It gives me a little time to write and organize myself. I am not sure I mentioned, there are three cats in the house. I currently have one on my lap keeping me warm as I am writing this post. Her name is Tilly, and she is a dear! Well, I'm off now to do a little reading on the area before the evening's regathering of people!


1 comment:

  1. Kirby says he is glad you have a cute kitty (or three) to keep you company since he can't be there with you!

    ReplyDelete