06 June 2013

Reflection: 6th of June

It is another beautiful sunny day! I was able to meet with my supervisor about the progression of the internship. I am unfortunately still waiting on the FBI check (in much frustration) so I have not been able to have contact with any confidential information yet. Once that comes in, I can really begin analyzing and quantifying data as well as observe group and individual sessions. Some of the groups I am interested in sitting in on are "Strive and Thrive," "Mindfulness", and "Stress and Anxiety."

Some of the research I will be doing is on dissociation. In the United States, dissociation usually relates to a really severe and chronic symptom of a mental health disorder. Diagnoses such as Dissociative Identity Disorder are extremely controversial. The definition of dissociation here is very Freudian; it is basically what we refer to in our vocabulary as the defense mechanism "repression." My supervisor works with trauma victims and she has found that dissociation (in this sense) is frequently present in this population. I guess I am starting to see the places where the psychodynamic views come in, even if it is not necessarily one of the main treatment modules here - it is in the way cases are conceptualized. I am looking forward to getting into research again!

I have some more reading to do tonight. My supervisor loaned me a book about Rosslynlee Hospital, a former asylum. I imagine there is some interesting history in there! Tomorrow is Friday, and then I think Saturday I will be going to Edinburgh. We have had beautiful weather since I have been here, so I hope it lasts through the weekend! Here are some pictures from my walk to and from the hospital today:
Foggy morning, but I remembered to take a picture of the town phone box 
I love these stone walls

Windows in the hospital

What a view!
Stopped in a cafe on my walk home for some coffee. This cafe is actually a craft and art gallery downstairs. It is called "Petter Potter Gallery." I pass it every day on my walk. 
Out the window of the cafe



Reminds me of a postcard


1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful country! I love all that stone and the flowers growing out of the wall! Oh, and the swans; love the swans!

    Tell me though... how did they get that car parked in that tiny space without backing over the hill into the water? It doesn't look like there is enough clearance to be possible!

    ReplyDelete