09 July 2013

Seacliff Beach

We have talked about going to this beach for some time, but have been waiting for the perfect weather. This amazing beach in North Berwick is owned privately by a rather grumpy man, or so I am told.  It costs 2 quid to get onto the beach per vehicle, but I think it was worth it. It was almost 80 degrees today, the hottest day in Scotland for a long time. The fact that there are only about 3 airconditioners in the UK total (hyperbole alert) made it almost necessary to seek out somewhere cooler. I suppose I should be used to that sort of weather, but it really came out of nowhere. Being that I am in SCOTLAND, I did not bring many warm-weather clothes. I think I'll be asking my family to bring some over with me when I meet them in England in August! If they refuse, I guess there is my excuse to buy more dresses! 
The tide was out when we visited this evening. When the tide is in, almost all of the beach disappears. 

 You see that jagged section of the cliffs in the picture below? That's a castle. Due to the sun's position I couldn't get a clear picture of it with my phone from this angle, but there is another view of it later on in this post.
There are doggies EVERYWHERE in Scotland.
 Amazing volcanic rocks that provide a habitat for some interesting creatures while the tide is out


 This is the exit to the beach. Up the hill and in the forest lies the remains of an old estate that caught fire and burned down many years ago. You can't really see what is left of it during the summer, but it supposedly a very haunted location! This archway belongs to that structure.
 As you can see below, Berwick Rock (the bird sanctuary I have mentioned before) is on the left. This is the other view of Tantallon Castle - the one you can sort of see from the beach picture!

Today I went to Musselburgh, another town in East Lothian to visit a community mental health service agency. As I am quite tired now, I'll post about it tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment