24 May 2013

One Step Back, Two Forward

I had a bit of a set back this morning regarding my trip. For the hospital I will be interning in, I had to request a copy of my personal record (background check) directly through the FBI. Even though I did this nearly a month ago, I still had not heard from them. So this morning, after far too long searching for a contact number, I was able to call to check on the processing status. Unfortunately, they haven't even started it yet, and can give me no other information about when it will be done, except that I should be about 6 weeks from when they received it. So frustrating, as this means I cannot start working directly with clients or be responsible for confidential information until they get the one sheet of paper saying I do not have any criminal record. What is most annoying is that for my Visa, I had to go through an extensive background check, and also I work with a company currently that contracts through the government and that required two separate fingerprinting appointments and background checks. Our system for this in the States is so messed up. Sort of put a damper on everything, as I am not sure what I will be allowed to do in the hospital until this comes through.

That is part of this experience though - not getting overwhelmed when things do not go exactly as planned. Whatever happens, happens. Some things, like this, are out of our control, and it does not do much use worrying over it. One of my goals for this trip is trying to reduce my anxiety about such situations that I cannot change.

Other than that, everything is going well. This week I held my last rehearsal for dance, and yesterday I worked my last shift at my third job. Today I pulled out my suitcase, my carry on, and my "personal item" bag to start filling. It is hard to think ahead for the next three months to determine what I may need! But this was a step. I also crossed the last two big items off my list that I need to purchase - a pair of nude flats for work, and a new black blazer. So that was another move towards progress!

I have 5 days left until I get on that jet. It's pretty unbelievable. I have so much to do during my last few days, and so many people I hope to see! That being said, if anyone would like to share their address with me (or would like my mailing address in Scotland), please let me know! I would be happy to receive snail mail, and to send authentic Scottish gifts to people back home (as long as you don't ask me to send haggis)!

No comments:

Post a Comment