31 May 2013

Here I am!

Well, it has been a few days longer than I wished between posts, but it has been busy (as you can imagine).

I left home yesterday with teary goodbyes at about 4pm. Once I arrived at the airport and got through security, I only had about 30 minutes in the gate before it was time to board. Once on the plane, I made my way to my window seat towards the rear of the plane. 

After a few minutes alone in my row, a petite older lady and her husband found their seats next to me. Instantly, the lady (whose name I now know is Irene), commented on my hair color and how she was glad she was sitting next to another red head, because "we have to stick together, you know." After telling me her story of growing up in Edinburgh and moving to San Francisco in her early 20's to be with her now husband, I shared my own story of how it is my first time in Scotland. To that she replied, "then I'll give you the numbers of my nephews, they're about your age - they could use a bright young lass to guide around Embra" as she nudged me and winked. She and her husband were very eager to learn about my plans and were so warm and friendly. They both gave me hugs before parting at the Border Agency. Speaking of the Border Agency - I was taken aback by how friendly they were, too. The agent who checked my Visa was also interested in my trip, and I learned she did something similar while she was in college - except she went to Canada for a summer to work!

Edinburgh airport is much smaller than I expected. If anyone has been to the Atlantic City Airport, I would compare the size to that. My flight ended up getting in early, so I wandered for a bit trying to find the correct place where I was supposed to meet Val to get picked up. Finally found it, and we both arrived at almost the same time. Caught myself looking to the left for traffic to cross, after which I instantly felt a fool - they come from the RIGHT!

So after coming back to the house and dropping my bags, we had tea, and then we decided to go out for a bit. It is absolutely gorgeous out today. Bright sun, blue skies, warm weather. Definitely not the wellie and brelly weather I was expecting. I'm sure that will come, though. From the house, we went a castle, and then down to the beach! I'll post pictures in a separate entry!

Now, we are back for tea time. I am unpacking, and next I'm going to take a nap! The jetlag is kicking in...

No comments:

Post a Comment